Real Estate News

The Dangers Not Over When the Flames Go Out: What to Look for Before You Return Home After a Fire

Written By: Jaymi Naciri
Monday, December 10, 2018

Should you ever be in the unfortunate position to have to escape or endure a fire, these tips will help keep you safe.

Donrsquo;t move back in just because everything looks fine.

ldquo;Sometimes homes that appear completely safe after a fire can conceal damage that is invisible to homeowners,rdquo; said Fast Home Help. ldquo;It is important that you have your home thoroughly inspected by licensed, experienced professionals.rdquo;

That often means more than one professional. ldquo;It is unlikely that a single inspector will be able to conduct all aspects of your home investigation. More likely, you will require the services of multiple specialists, including a structural engineer, an industrial hygienist, and a plumber.rdquo;

It may seem like a hassle to parade numerous people through your home when all you want to do is get back to normal, but, when it comes to specialists whose job it is to ensure the safety of your home and its inhabitants, the more, the merrier. ldquo;While smoke damage is visible on walls and ceilings, it can also permeate these surfaces and cause damage to a homes structure/framing, wall studs, insulation and air ducts in your ventilation system,rdquo; said Resolve by Lowes. ldquo;When soot and smoke particles become trapped in the HVAC system, the smoke odor can reoccur periodically and even cause respiratory problems.rdquo;

Do a water quality test

You can buy one of these for about 20, and the peace of mind it will give you is priceless. ldquo;Wildfires can compromise water quality both during active burning, and for months and years after the fire has been contained,rdquo; said the California Water Science Center. ldquo;During active burning, ash can settle on lakes and reservoirs used for drinking water supplies, like during the 2013 Rim Fire.

Be wary of ashes

While the California Air Resources Board said that, ldquo;The ash deposited by forest fires is >

They recommend taking great care with any ash that has settled around the property, including wearing ldquo;gloves, long sleeved shirts, and long pants and avoid skin contact,rdquo; staying away from leaf blowers, and leaving remediation to the professionals.

Hire a public adjustor

Yes, you need to have your home assessed for insurance purposes, and that will entail having an insurance adjustor come out. However, the adjustor your company wants to send out works for them. A public adjustor works for you, and is a better way to ensure that you get as much money as you can to repair or replace the damaged items in your home.

ldquo;The third type of adjuster, the public adjuster, works only for the policy holder,rdquo; said The Balance. ldquo;The public insurance adjuster is also an independent insurance adjuster but they are hired by the policy holders who are filing the claim. Public insurance adjusters are often hired by insurance policy holders to make sure they are getting their full claim benefit from the insurance policy they purchased.rdquo;

Copyright© 2019 Realty Times®. All Rights Reserved


Facebook linkedin twitter youtube googleplus instagram
Map SearchClick here for a free Market AnalysisBuyers: Search here for your Dream HomeSubscribe! Sign up to recieve our Newsletter!Real Estate Outlook
Updated: Monday, July 22, 2019

11 Improvements To Your Garage That Will Add Value To Your Home

A Functional Garage Door

Heavy garage doors that must be opened manually are not very app...
> Full Story

How to Handle Loan Conditions

All loans will have loan conditions. But for those not familiar with the approval process, when t...
> Full Story

Marketing to Millennials: Advice for Real Estate Agents

Many millennials are at the age where they want to buy their first homes. When marketin...
> Full Story

Copyright ©2019 - Realty Times®
All Rights Reserved.